Complete Boiler Room Overhaul in Kleinburg
We have been contracted to overhaul a botched up installation of a radiant floor heating and air handler system in Kleinburg. The original installation 3 years ago was done in such a poor way that nothing from the hydronics could be salvaged. Luckily the two NTI boilers and the S-80 indirect water heater could be reused. Originally the snow melt system for the driveway and the garage floor heating was also connected here but we have moved those onto a new Lochinvar boiler.
This is what we found when we first got in in. Circulators reversed, flow choking mixing valves, complete lack of primary and secondary loop separation, a confused mixture of HVAC contactors as controls for snow melt and radiant floor heating.
A desperate attempt to stop reverse and ghost flows with zone valves and the feeling of a desperate battle fought and lost without any plan. A comprehensive site survey done by Schuller Hydronics is HERE. A radiant floor heating malpractice at its worst.
First we need to disconnect the wires coming from the two air handlers and the floor heating thermostat. Turns out later on that all wires were marked wrong originally and spliced all over the place.
Since the existing system is filled with glycol we need to drain the sticky fluid without making a mess. The two boilers will move over and have to be removed as well.
Two of the most important tools to disassemble this affront to our senses. Most of the pumps and pipes are now removed.
Since this orgy of fittings has to be removed to install the checkered board anyway, we will try making sense of it. As it is there is no way to bleed the hose bibb lines fully.
The two boilers and the rest of the old piping are now gone. We install a condensate drain behind the wall next.
Next we install the checkered boards onto which the boilers and new hydronics hardware will mount. Not only it looks good but also protects the wall when we solder pipes and fittings close to it.
We install two new Schuller manifolds in place of the two gummed up and corroded ones and come through the wall only with the supply and return 1″ L copper tubing.
The reworked hose bibb lines make a little more sense now. No more Super Mario Forrest of Pipes.
All Schuller manifolds feature an automatic air vent so the noisy air logged system is that of the past. The radiant floor heating manifold is replaced as well.
What gets mounted first is the 2″ Schuller Hydraulic Separator attached to their pre-made supply and return 2″ header. This speeds up the install considerably and eliminates the need to use tees.
The right side of the header which will supply full 180F water to the indirect hot water tank from closely spaced tees tells George and Tes of GasGuys.ca where to start mounting the boilers.
We used Viega ProPress as the home owner wanted to see as few solder joints as possible.
Some things need to be soldered. We make sure all joints are solid and look great.
The condensate lines are connected to the new drain through a neutralizer that removes the acidity from the water
The new boiler loop circulators are now piped to 2″ common pipes instead of the 1-1/2″ before. Isolation flanges make any future servicing of the pumps a simple procedure.
Meanwhile the electrician is switching out all electrical panels and hiding wires. Checkered board bonanza.
Not too shabby.
The small porch snow melt is handled through a heat exchanger transferring heat to the glycol filled loops.
It gets its own expansion tank and a new glycol feeder. With the protective film removed the backing looks amazing.
The circulator pumps are wired up temporarily as the electrician will do something fancy with those wires as well. The indirect heater tank is put back in its place and the hot water recirculator pump is mounted on the wall behind it, this time properly.
The boilers are firing and the system is operational. Once the electrician tidies up the wires this boiler room is going to be a class of its own.
If you have a project similar in scope please contact us to see if we can help.